Flat cold roof and vapour barrier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm having a cold flat roof installed. 100mm PIR board to be inserted between the joists and some form of insulation with plasterboard will need to be fitted to the ceiling.
I understand a vapour barrier needs to be fitted between bottom of joists (where the 100mm is inserted) and the finish insulated plasterboard of approx 30mm.

I get the impression a warm roof design has become the standard, is a cold-roof design acceptable in building regs?

To my knowledge, the vapour barrier comes on a roll which I can add as a separate item, but if I install a thermal plasterboard does it act as a vapour barrier anyway?

I watched a few video's on the subject and it mentioned that the 'vapour barrier' should not be pierced, if this is true how can a few spotlights be added?

Sponsored Links
There will be a minimum of 50mm air gap between the insulation and the OBS boards.
Venting strip will be added to soffit. Not sure if Abutment Vent is a necessity so would be grateful to hear views on this also (is there a decent kit on the market) ?

Sponsored Links
There will be a minimum of 50mm air gap between the insulation and the OBS boards.
Venting strip will be added to soffit. Not sure if Abutment Vent is a necessity so would be grateful to hear views on this also (is there a decent kit on the market) ?
You should have through ventilation on all joist runs - which means venting at either end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back