paint on wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have like a glazed like wallpaper covering in the bedroom, a very subtle gold colour. I am going to paint over it. The colour I am having is Fairway Mist, like a very light green. I intend to prime the paper with an oil based primer, perhaps 2x coats? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but can you get matched primers (in otherwords the same colour as the overcoat - Fairway Mist) or are primers only in white or shades of. Then I am going to apply 2x coats of oil based gloss or silk Fairway Mist. Any opinions from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Opinion? Don't.

It rarely looks good, seams will blow, cutting in is dictated to by how well trimmed the paper is, it'll bubble up and really not sure what effect putting solvent based paints over will have! If you're gonna do it, do it properly strip it off prep it well and paint.

Not being a hard arse but its just wrong and cant think why you'd want to gloss it, you'd need excellent brush skills to get anything like a half decent finish and will be a nightmare to strip in the future.
You can tint primers probably be a light grey for the green you mentioned, but don't do it have a re-think, you will regret it i promise you.

If you aren't going to strip it you might want to go straight to silk Fairway Mist as this will be easier/less expensive to apply and might make future stripping a tad easier. Two coats of silk might do it (no need for all those oil coats).

Silk/gloss, like any shiny finish, will show up any imperfections a lot more than a dull/flat finish e.g. overlapped joints or 'bulges' under the paper.

As dcdec says, it will be a nightmare to strip later if glossed so make sure you really like the pattern of that paper! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back