Paint or spray paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sliding wardrobe doors. The plastic shiny front has peeled off! I can see they were cheap buys, but we bought the house and 4 years ago they were fine. Now the plastic stuff has peeled off and cracked. I am guessing it was heat shrunk onto the MDF doors. Taking off the stuff the MDF is excellent and smooth. So I thought to save money I would paint them. But I don't want to have a painted brush marked finish as they are large areas. Each door size (x4) is:
Width 899.5
Length 1599.5
I had thought of roller paint. But you still get a texture of roller. Then I thought of spraying, which I know if done properly is a beautiful finish. But then covering this amount of area with spray pain is going to be expensive. Also what type of paint is critical too. So any suggestions here please and its kinda urgent.
Have a picture of the three doors that haven't been as yet peeling off, but one is about to.
Thanks

Attachments

• Wardrobe door.jpg
    Wardrobe door.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 374
Sponsored Links
So painting is the only option?

I saw somewhere on the net, where you buy a roll of your preferred colour plastic; apply like you would with car tint; water and applicator. Not sure if that's the finish you want?

Mmm interesting will source it out. But if anyone can add to help out with my problem with any ideas or knowledge would love to hear from you

When I used a heat gun to remove the shrink on an MDF bath panel, I painted with a brush. Two coats of primer, quick de-nib with a light sand, and then on with the base and top coats. I used some tinted permawhite, as it's what I had.

Sponsored Links
TX for the tip for the rest of the doors getting rid of the plastic. That is wonderful. I live in chronic pain and the less I have to do the better. So tips like that help me as it makes life easier

No problem - I recommend doing it when there's good ventilation, as it can get a bit smelly.

Has anyone used a paint sprayer? I have just seen this and it looks like it could make my life easier.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-e...0v/11628#product_additional_details_container
But I have no idea what paint it would use. If I knew I would buy it. Make life easier for my pain as everything I do has to have morphine before I do anything. This would be less morphine. I have to base my life on how I do things with the use of morphine! So if any one has the knowledge would love to know

It states on teh instructions -
The product may not be used for processing emulsion and latex paints or chlorinated
solutions
So what type of paint does it use?

Phone up a joiners and ask if they know who will spray up wood. Round here there's a booming business in spraying MDF and any wood used for furniture, bespoke storage and kitchen fronts. Pretty sure it was £100 for 4sq m both sides.

Has anyone used a paint sprayer? I have just seen this and it looks like it could make my life easier.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-e...0v/11628#product_additional_details_container
But I have no idea what paint it would use. If I knew I would buy it. Make life easier for my pain as everything I do has to have morphine before I do anything. This would be less morphine. I have to base my life on how I do things with the use of morphine! So if any one has the knowledge would love to know

One of the reviewers said...

" I've never used a sprayer before, but wanted to give a professional finish to old wardrobe doors and new internal doors. This sprayer did the job beyond my expectations. It was a good price and was very easy for a novice to use.
First one developed a fault, but as ever screwfix exchanged for a new replacement without any fuse. I would highly recommend this product. "

Personally I'd recommend you slightly thinning down the finish coat. Maybe I'm wrong. :)

I was looking at that one.. So what paint did you use? As I am confused as to what it can and can't use. The other one staed that it could use all paints but when I read the details on this it had quite a few exceptions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back