Spray Painting Kitchen Doors And Drawers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all looking to paint my kitchen doors as to buy new doors for my kitchen im looking at £300+ they are pine with an oak stain does anyone know if i can prime and spray and lacquer with normal car paint and if not what should i but i dont want to roller or brush i want a smooth gloss finish.

Sponsored Links
2 pack acid catylst spray will give you the finish you want but it is beyond the scope of most home owners.

You might find that a perfectly flat finish might not be possible depending on the extent of grain on the doors.

I would suggest oil based eggshell applied with a decent synthetic brush, eg a Wooster branded brush.

The majority of high end kitchens have hand painted doors (the base coats are sprayed for convinience).

To achieve a flat finish use a very very small amoint of white spirit in dulux trade oil based eggshell also add OWATROL OIL.

Owatrol is a must, it improves the flow of the paint and helps to reduce tramline/brushmarks.

If you do go for car spray (celulose) and the doors are in good condition you wont need primer. Degreasing them will be more critical than if using eggshell. After you have sanded a key you might find it difficult to remove all traces of dust.

High gloss finishes require much much more prep.

Hi all looking to paint my kitchen doors as to buy new doors for my kitchen im looking at £300+ they are pine with an oak stain does anyone know if i can prime and spray and lacquer with normal car paint and if not what should i but i dont want to roller or brush i want a smooth gloss finish.

as a painter ive done this many times!
i would reccomend you sand the doors and drawers with a p60 fine sandpaper to key it.

why would u use gloss? tbh gloss has no body and isnt a hard finish we usually use eggshell as its a flat finish which means u brush it on and the brush marks dissapear however its not shiny then we apply a few coats of clear laquer which is just a varnish :)

i would reccomend you sand the doors and drawers with a p60 fine sandpaper to key it.

why would u use gloss? tbh gloss has no body and isnt a hard finish we usually use eggshell as its a flat finish which means u brush it on and the brush marks dissapear however its not shiny then we apply a few coats of clear laquer which is just a varnish :)

Hi ya p60 fine sandpaper? - surely a typo???

Sponsored Links

Hi ya p60 fine sandpaper? - surely a typo???

sure was a typo.... p160 - p240 :) **hopes youve no gone n bought p60** :oops: :LOL:

Hi,

if you want that perfect showroom finish in either a high gloss shine or a flatter more satin finish and you want to spray it, give me a shout, I have a lot of spraying experience trained by Graco, sprayed in all types of materials for last 12 years.
Now employed by a world leading HVLP sprayer manufacture, I am sure I can point you in the right direction to get the finish you want.

Hi Active

Just out of interest what hvlp (turbine) would you recommend for spraying water based, oil baed and acid cat?

I have an Fuji at the mo but might want something quieter and without the air blowing thru the gun all the time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back