Paint over sealant not drying

Sponsored Links
It is generally understood that you cant paint over silicon as this reacts with the oil paint and stops it drying , as its tacky it then lets dust stick to it. You can buy products that can be painted over prior to your finishing paint being applied.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hib
An expensive solution,but, you could brush some Zinsser over the sealant before overpainting ... As Robbie says, as a rule, you dont paint over silicone but you might get lucky ;)

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Well, called Cromar and they basically said 'it's made somewhere in Europe we just sell the stuff'. Then he (the Cromar bloke) said u probably shouldn't overpaint it with oil based paints, to which i replied that it would be a good idea to print that on the tube, rather than saying 'can be overpainted with most paints' which is ever so slightly misleading.

He then said that the info on the tube has recently been changed accordingly and that i probably got a tube from an old batch with the misleading info. I suspect that's rubbish intuitively, and also because he said that i was only the second person ever to say that i had a problem painting over it; if that were the case then the info wouldn't need changed would it?

Anyway, i painted over the tacky solo with crown extreme grip - no problems - dry within the hour. Then painted over with solo again - same problem. So it looks like this stuff likes water based and not oil based - so tomorrow i'll have to get a water based replacement for the solo.

I could've avoided all this by just using caulk but i thought this stuff would do an extra good job :rolleyes:

Live and learn

.. :) NP..
No, its not very user or brush friendly & an expensive solution for a small area of work too ;)
Strange that your sealant appears to be more 'water-based friendly' than oil-based paint :confused:

I never used that sealant.. Wonder if white oil based undercoat will dry on it?Then put solo gloss on.
I use oil based unders for a quick fix when I got to use emulsion on silicone. :oops: :)

Good luck

• Thanks
Same here usually..Wondered why the Solo should react so badly with it ...But then who uses Solo ? LOL
Sorry Hib but its not much cop :)

Nothing actually wrong with it Hib, its formulated for convenience rather than a top-class professional finish, us pros' :oops: need the assurance of a good undercoat topped-off with a good quality liquid gloss - which cant be beaten ..
P.S. (keep this to yourself) In an emergency I have used the odd tin of Crown Solo to give a quick coat to a faux grained panel door after thorough cleaning & light key ;)

Absolutely nothing wrong with Solo gloss and Satin. Learn how to use it properly and you'll find it's the best paint you'll ever use.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back