Paint over silicone sealant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My helper accidentally used silicone bathroom sealant instead of decorators caulk. He has laid a long line of it in the corner of the room from ceiling to floor, to fill a gap in the tongue and groove cladding. He also used it to fill some miscellaneous holes, gaps etc in the cladding. He then painted over the silicone with Dulux kitchen and bathroom paint. This has slid off the silicone leaving ugly lines and patches of white.

Heeeeelp!

Can we caulk over the silicone to create a paintable surface? Can I take an electric sander to the flat bits?

Lhl.

Sponsored Links
Please don't try to sand silicone (or caulk, for that matter) .....it'll end in tears!
Zinnser 321 will cover silicone well enough, and you can top coat on top of that.
John :)

Please don't try to sand silicone (or caulk, for that matter) .....it'll end in tears!
Zinnser 321 will cover silicone well enough, and you can top coat on top of that.

John I have zinsser primer but its not called 321. It is called Zinsser Bullseye 123.
Will it do?

My apologies - I meant to say 123. No worries, I guess you are talking about the shellac based B-I-N which is again a product used to cover difficult surfaces, prior to painting.
I've used this stuff on a upvc window frame and to my surprise, it stuck well!
I'd think very carefully about trying to remove the silicone - although it wasn't suitable in the first place - it sticks like no ones business.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back