Paint over stained trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a relatively new home, built in 98. All of our trim work and doors are done in a Minwax stain, Ispwich Pine color. I am assuming that there is some sort of polyurethane finish but I am not sure. I want to paint the trim/doors white. What do I need to do to prep the trim before I attempt to repaint with a basic semi gloss latex paint?

Sponsored Links
Alex...obviously theres a bit of a barrier here with products..I dont know of your stain/wax but latex semi gloss ok..that the same more or less as our water based acrylic stuff.

If the finish is based on wak polish then id say you have two choices....either strip it off, perhaps using steel wool and methalated spirits.

Or..remove the wood altogether, sounds a bit drastic but sometimes its quicker, cheaper and easier then stripping it.

I certainly dont know of any primers this side of the pond that are suitable over wax

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back