How to paint over knots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a staircase that is painted in yellowing white gloss, and covered in stains where knots have come through.
I am planning to paint it with grey Dulux Satinwood which is oil based. How should I get rid of these knot stains for good before I paint over them? I heard Zissner B-I-N is good? Then what prep do I need before I apply the topcoat, is sanding the gloss enough or do I need an undercoat too?

Attachments

• 3D7408AE-F15F-47EE-9A04-594BF14542B8.jpeg
    3D7408AE-F15F-47EE-9A04-594BF14542B8.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 36097F31-4860-44A2-95D4-AB434E6E91E9.jpeg
    36097F31-4860-44A2-95D4-AB434E6E91E9.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
if there are a lot, Aluminium Wood Primer (which dries grey, not silver) will seal them and prime the whole piece.

If very resinous, a hot air gun will boil out the resin, which you can scrape off when bubbling so it is not reabsorbed. Traces left on the surface will harden like varnish when cold and you can sand it off. Do this before the rest of your prep work.

if there are a lot, Aluminium Wood Primer (which dries grey, not silver) will seal them and prime the whole piece.

If very resinous, a hot air gun will boil out the resin, which you can scrape off when bubbling so it is not reabsorbed. Traces left on the surface will harden like varnish when cold and you can sand it off. Do this before the rest of your prep work.
Yes there are alot. Is aluminium based primer preferable to Zinnser B-I-N? Would I just spot prime the knots?

I use it, especially on resinous and outdoor wood (it is very durable). You paint it over the whole thing, rather than patches. I haven't used BIN so I can't compare.

Sponsored Links
that would be a better job, especially if there are lots of knots and you miss some, but you can do patches if you want. You will need to apply undercoat and sand lighly to level the surface if you are doing patches.

A hot air gun will be quicker and cleaner than sanding. And not as noisy.

that would be a better job, especially if there are lots of knots and you miss some, but you can do patches if you want. You will need to apply undercoat and sand lighly to level the surface if you are doing patches.

A hot air gun will be quicker and cleaner than sanding. And not as noisy.
Would paint stripper work?

I don't find modern strippers much good.

Wait a while, there will be some pro decorators in later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back