paint over wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 bed detach house has got wall paper.

Can I paint on the wallpaper or best option is to remove wall paper and paint. Trying to save some money

Thanking in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Is your wallpaper in good condition. I painted over mine years ago and have changed the colour several times and its still good.

I think you first need to ascertain what paper is on the walls before you commence with your painting.

Some papers contain inks that can be reactivated by the application of water based coatings, causing them to bleed through your paint system, vinyls again are very problematic and emulsion paints should not be used as a first coat application.

If your paper falls into either of the above you will need to first seal the surface with either an oil based primer sealer, or undercoat, before your emulsion.

Hope this is of some help to you

Dec.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate the need to save money but painting over paper is not always straight forward.

Aside from the above in TheDecs post. There is the risk of the paper lifting. To mitigate this oil based paint will help to a degree. Zinsser BIN would be even better but is more costly. It is tintable and two coats might be enough to finish the job

You may have other problems such as joins being pronounced. If so you can cut through them and fill.

You might be better off in the long run if you strip the walls. Lining paper from real decorating stores is pretty cheap and "easy" to hang. You will then save money on paints (two coats of emulsion being sufficient) which will offset part of the cost of the glue, paper and filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back