Paint - Peeled off like Wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to the forums so go easy on me....please.

Just had all my walls skimmed in hall, landing and stairs and after letting the plaster dry for a week, i have applied a watered down coat of emulsion. All fine so far.

Then tried a few testers on the wall - other half chose the color, and i've gone back over the top of them with more watered down emulsion to cover prior to top coat. I noticed that in a couple of places, the paint started to bubble. For some reason, in my infinite wisdom, i decided it would be best to break the surface of the paint - this has then led to me having a football sized patch of bare plaster, where i have ended up peeling off loose paint. I have tried painting back over the top, and lightly sanding the edges but it is still visible. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix??

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We've just had this. We were told it would be OK to emulsion "3 to 4 days" after plasterer had finished. Was it chuff. Three weeks later the plaster was still drying.

Our lovely paintwork ended up all green and mouldy looking.

Plaster drying time (obviously) depends on how dry the room is, and how thick the plaster is. Best to wack up the central heating full boost and leave it till it stops smelling damp.

This time of year it will take even longer.

you dont want to turn the heat up any more than you would normal. This will cause things to crack/shrink etc. As for your paint edge, go to a local diy store and buy a fine wall filler. Skim this over the edges, this will stop more lifting and also take the step out.

I suffered this after i had my house plastered as well . Its due to the plaster sucking the moisture out of the paint thru the wash coat.

I tried to repaint the patches i had after the dreaded " peel " but although
it looked ok to everyone else i could see the step up in the paint glaring out at me everywhere i went in the living room.

So i bit the bullet , scraped the whole wall off ..sanded the damn thing...put about 5 wash coats on and ......... it peeled again :eek:

So ive painted it back in again and given up for now....but i'll be back with a vengeance..the damn wall just doesnt know it yet but im going to knock thru to my hallway to create an open plan...muhahaha

Seriously tho , i think to solve it u have to leave the wash coats to dry a few days between each one and then apply the main coat in a few layers slightly watering it down.

Sponsored Links
I had similar and the solution was simple and cheap. Buy some 'good' PVA glue. Mix about 2 tablespoons to a pint of water and paint the whole wall (after the plaster is dry). Let it dry over night and you will not have any issues with plaster sucking out the moisture, cracking etc.
This also worked on artex that bubbled after painting.

Go to a hire shop and get a dehumidifier to dry the room, you will be surprised how much water it will take fromm the air and this should help prevent premature drying cracks.

PVA is the latex in acrylic latex paint.
Poly(vinyl acetate), or PVA for short, is one of those low-profile behind-the-scenes polymers. I mention PVA glue as asking the 12 year old manager at B+Q for a polymer may throw him somewhat.

But if you're happy paying for expensive products, go ahead.

I have used PVA for years and can guarantee it's results, just don't use more than a couple of spoonfuls else the paint will ripple. It will form a permanent seal....just like the expensive products called sealers that contain latex...er...PVA.

Is this forum full of salesmen?
:LOL: [/u]

Super latex is classed as a contract emulsion and is cheeper than vinyl matt emulsion. Not selling anything mate its called advise what forums are for. Im just saying what a product will do. They can do what they like.

paint will come off due to eitha contamination or moisture in the substrate. And the fact its bubbling probly means theres still moisture in the plaster and as soon as theres been any warmth its evaporated blowing the paint off the wall!! Plaster will dry diffrenly due to thickness, mixture warmth ect.

I had the same problem, some bubbles formed when we were painting the ceiling, when the roller went over it again, it took the bubble off and I ended up with a round patch of bare plasterboard. My solution was (and this might be totally amateurish), I polyfilla'd the area, scraped it until it was almost even again, and when it dried - sandpapered it! It looks a lot better now anyway.... :oops:

I had the same problem, some bubbles formed when we were painting the ceiling, when the roller went over it again, it took the bubble off and I ended up with a round patch of bare plasterboard. My solution was (and this might be totally amateurish), I polyfilla'd the area, scraped it until it was almost even again, and when it dried - sandpapered it! It looks a lot better now anyway.... :oops:

Guys it sounds to me like you are using a vinyl matt emulsion - if you want to save youself from pain use something like Super Leytex or Dulux SuperMatt trade paints - they're non-vinyl so the mistcoat actually sinks into the surface of the plaster almost like a stain and reduces it's porosity - for supermatt I do a mist coat of 4 parts paint to 3 parts water and it works fine - another coat of 4:1 paint:water and we were sorted.

Also supermatt can be mixed to quite a few of the colours in Dulux's pallette.

N.B. very few of the paints you buy from the DIY sheds are non-vinyl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back