Paint peeling off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When painting new but dry internal plaster I inadvertantly used a mist coat of 20% emulsion as opposed to 40% as recommended by the emulsion supplier. The mist coat appeared to absorb into the plaster but now I'm finding that my finish coats vinyl matt emulsion is peeling off.

What is the best solution if any to this problem?

Sponsored Links
Try putting PVA on the wall first, then the paint.

The new plaster is sucking the moisture out of the paint making it crack. PVA can seal this.

DONT USE PVA if you want to paint anything.. NEVER EVER.... Just go over it with a thicker mix of emulsion. PVA is a building adhesive, yes it will stop the absorbency but it also stops emulsion from adhering to the wall and may come off later.

Sponsored Links
DONT USE PVA if you want to paint anything.. NEVER EVER.... Just go over it with a thicker mix of emulsion. PVA is a building adhesive, yes it will stop the absorbency but it also stops emulsion from adhering to the wall and may come off later.

+1

I can't believe people are still suggesting putting PVA on a wall that is to be painted.

One of the 9000 posts on the Decorating forum, on this topic, should be made a Sticky...

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back