Paint peeling off plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
please can you help me.
The paint in my bathroom started peeling off the plaster walls.

I've scraped off as much as possible however some has bonded and I can't get it off. I've tried scraping and a steamer but it's not coming off.

If I paint it now I'll be able to see the paint lines and it won't be smooth.

Is there anything I can do to cover it without the need to re plaster?

Sponsored Links
if you are certain that the remaining paint is firmly attached to the plaster, mix up half a teaspoon of filler, and using a broad metal filling knife, run it along the edge of the remaining paint, pressing so hard that, apart from the step, you can see through it. There is no point in applying thicker filler, you will only have to scrape it off again.

When fully dry, wipe it (don't rub) with extra fine sandpaper, and feel it with your fingertips to confirm the step has gone (your fingertips are more sensitive than your eyes). When perfect, mist coat with dilute emulsion (twice, for safety) on the bare patches, before repainting the wall with vinyl silk.

The plaster looks rather new to me but you don't mention its age or previous treatments.

I suspect that the problem was caused by one or more of:

• Steamy bathroom where an effective extractor fan is not used long enough and often enough to keep it dry
  • Non-durable paint without vinyl (often used because it allows new, wet plaster to dry out)
  • Glue or paste applied to plaster before painting (if so, scrub it off with hot water and a rough old towel before trying to repaint)
  • No mist coat applied previously

JohnD's advice with regards to what to do next is pretty sound but I do have to disagree with one of his possible causes. A paint without vinyl cannot really 'peel' off because the binder is not strong enough to produce an actual paint film.
In my opinion, the most likely cause is that a vinyl paint was used directly onto the plaster without being watered down for a first mist coat. That, combined with the issue of steam/moisture is what usually causes paint to peel within in a bathroom.
Also, it can be well worthwhile misting the bare plaster before doing any filling, as this will stop the thirsty plaster sucking all the moisture out of the filler. Re-Mist after filling and sanding, then proceed with your finish coats.

Thank you.
I believe the cause is due to the plaster being very smooth and their isn't a binding coat

Sponsored Links
View attachment 95401 View attachment 95402 View attachment 95401 View attachment 95402 please can you help me.
The paint in my bathroom started peeling off the plaster walls.

I've scraped off as much as possible however some has bonded and I can't get it off. I've tried scraping and a steamer but it's not coming off.

If I paint it now I'll be able to see the paint lines and it won't be smooth.

Is there anything I can do to cover it without the need to re plaster?

Was the room plastered in the summer in hot weather by any chance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back