Paint primer strippers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was at my local timber merchant this morning discussing the paint strippers I'd tried, SF No Nonsense and TX10, which have proved ineffective at removing the 20 year old finish on my staircase wood.

The fella on the counter reckoned if its the primer, paint strippers tend not to work. Daft that the paint layers can be stripped but not the primer.

Anyone know of paint primer removers, water or oil based, I can try?

I've looked at the popular paint stripper brands on Amazon and focussing in on the 1 star reviews, the opinions are that none of the products are as good as they used to be due to removal of certain chemicals for H&S reasons.

Sponsored Links
C tec paint stripper in spray can you could try.
Chemicals being band means paint stripper is not great these days.
Use heat gun

I found the eco strip products worked pretty well. I was sceptical, as I associate paint stripping with nitromors from the 90s which burned, and did the job.

Paint it on, cover in cling film and leave over night, and it stripped off about 8 layers of paint on my skirting no problem

Sponsored Links
I was at my local timber merchant this morning discussing the paint strippers I'd tried, SF No Nonsense and TX10, which have proved ineffective at removing the 20 year old finish on my staircase wood.

The fella on the counter reckoned if its the primer, paint strippers tend not to work. Daft that the paint layers can be stripped but not the primer.

Anyone know of paint primer removers, water or oil based, I can try?

I've looked at the popular paint stripper brands on Amazon and focussing in on the 1 star reviews, the opinions are that none of the products are as good as they used to be due to removal of certain chemicals for H&S reasons.

I’ve just bought from these guys, quick delivery but as it arrive this morning and not tried it don’t know if it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back