Paint stripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting to remove the gloss paint from the bannister handrail and spindles but its proving difficult.

I bought the house, a 2003 build, last year. The previous owner painted through prior to sale.

I using this stripper solution which has very good reviews. The newer paint peeled off no bother but the original coat is proving very difficult.

Is possible that the spindles and handrail were factory coated with other than paint?

I tried using a heat gun but the original finish does not blister up, merely scrapes of in little patches.

full

Sponsored Links
Modern paint strippers aren't as good as they used to be, as the dcm has been removed.

You can still get it. I used this:

I signed the email form saying I was a sole trader and it was delivered.

Read the safety sheets. It tore through the paint the modern stuff couldn't.

Note: may cause cancer

Thanks for the comment!

The bannister section is the shortest of three I intend to strip so as you suggest, may have to invest in something more potent to get the paint removed.

Sponsored Links
Have made progress by giving the spindles another coat of the SF solution then using a heat gun and small brass wire brush to scrub off the original layer. A rather laborious task.

I'm now considering using exterior dark brown gloss to paint the entire staircase wood work. That way I just need to sand the existing white gloss finish and paint over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back