Stabilising walls prior to painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some problems with peeling paint on my lounge walls. It seems for whatever reason the original paint didn't adhere to the drywall very well, and the paint on top of that hasn't adhered to the original coat very well. I believe both are silk paints.

I have decided to decorate this room and scraped back a lot of the clearly blistered/flaked areas until I reach 'sound' points. I have used a resin primer in an attempt to seal the edges, and then brought the surface level with fine surface filler.

My concern is that I will encounter further problems if I simply paint over with matt emulsion, as the moisture may cause more areas to peel, either the current top coat or right back to the drywall.

Would a stabiliser possibly save me here? Are all stabilisers created equal? I notice quite a few are specifically 'exterior', does this mean overpainting with emulsion may not work?

Sponsored Links
Stabilising solution is meant for exterior powdery render. Inside use the Gardz as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back