Bedroom wall question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am decorating a bedroom and having hired a wallpaper steam-stripper to remove the wallpaper, I stripped the wallpaper. Once the wallpaper was off there were parts of the wall where there appeared to be a pink-ish layer, underneath that there was some brownish stuff. It all seemed pretty stuck on so I just sanded and cleaned. But when I started painting, the pinkish stuff and the brownish stuff just came off on to the roller. Underneath that there is a greyish layer which I think is the actual plaster. I'm guessing the brown stuff is old wallpaper paste, and i saw online that a good way to get rid of it is to use hot soapy water. I tried this - and it loosened the pink and brown layers a bit - but only slightly. How can I quickly get this large wall ready to paint?
I think my options are:
1) Hire or buy a steam stripper and use it to remove these layers, being careful not to destroy the underlying plaster.
2) Try a chemical approach, like sugar soap or stripper

Please see photos.

Please help.

Many thanks,

Carlos
20181027_213403.jpg
20181027_213403.jpg

Attachments

• 20181027_213257.jpg
    20181027_213257.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 112
Sponsored Links
Get a plasterer in to skim it? Nice smooth and ready then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back