Bedroom walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've raised this before and had some good advice, but the issue is still persisting.

A friends bedroom needed painting. Painted with crown, which ended up in the sour paint issue. Crown gave me some sealer which didn't work. I decided to start from scratch and stripped the wallpaper. A sour smell anymore but the plaster underneath the old wallpaper really really smelled strongly of wet plaster. Which considering all the steam used from the wallpaper stripper I wasn't surprised. Because time was tight I started papering the next day, I've just put up one layer of wall paper which all I was intending to do. I was expecting the plaster smell to go but 2 months later, the room and walls still smell really really strong of plaster. It gives you a sore noise if your in there too long. I've tried a dehumidifier for weeks and heating, but nothing is helping the strong smell of plaster. Ive now painted one wall (on the wallpaper) to see if that would help, but it doesn't. The smell of plaster is a nightmare, which has left the room unusable due to the smell and the physical problems the smell is causing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, I really need some advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks for your reply.

It was a plain wallpaper from bandq, not textured, mattish finish, wasn't lining paper, creamish white colour.

So not a so called "Vinyl"paper?

Does the property have retro-filled cavity insulation? if so when was it installed? are two of the walls "external" and two internal? is the affected room directly facing the prevailing wind?

Is it a ground floor Room or more exposed being on an upper floor?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

No the new wallpaper is not vinyl, it has a very slight texture, plain finish for painting.

No cavity insulation.

The room has one external, one internal connected to next door, one main internal and one internal connected to Hall.

Yes the room, main external wall is facing the west and it does get direct wind.

It is an upstairs room on the first floor, it's not overly exposed.

Thanks again.

Just to note, all walls, including the internal walls is smelling of plaster, but not sour at all.

Is the room in use? If not???

If not turn off the Rad and open the window all day during day light hours, may assist?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back