Plaster Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

Posted on here a couple of months ago about a problem, can't seem to find it with site changes so will give background again as I am at another stage now of trying to resolve this problem.

1952 2 bed house, semi, two storey. Several months ago moved in.

Both bedrooms woodchip paper, silk paint on top.

Used crown white emulsion to 'freshen up'. Stinking sewerage smell following. Crown denied paint was off, everyone who smelled it said it was definitely off paint.

Painted over with an alkalising paint, helped a little but as soon as moisutre and heat built up horrible smell again and by moisture I just mean sleeping in the room. Windows opened initially seemed to make it worse.

Posted here for advice. Next step was to remove paper which initially as this was a temporary stay I didn't want to do, but have not been able to sleep in either bedrooms so bought wallpaper stripper, removed paper, there was two layers of wood chip each painted a different colour so been papered over before.

Plaster underneather looked like it had been painted with an ochre coloured paint which was powdery and flaking off everywhere, brushed all this down, re-papered.

Room smelling strongly now of plaster and I can also smell the odour still in the background, though less intensely when the room has any heat in it.

Questions: How long can I expect the plaster smell to continue as I find that not pleasant too. The papering was finished on Friday last week.

I am worried about that smell still being in the background. Crown claimed it was a problem with the walls although I had painted over woodchip in the living room downstairs with dulux paint and had no issues, so I'm thinking as the walls are made with the same materials wouldn't I have had the same problem painting the livingroom.

Feel like I'm squatting in the house as still having to sleep in the living room.

Thanks
Spockee

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back