How to get rid of paint smell in babies nursery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have painted my grandaughters room recently. I used melamine specific paint to repaint the built in wardrobes and matt emulsion on the walls. Rads are also painted with emulsion. After 4 weeks there is still a paint smell in the room so unable to put my grandaughter in the room to sleep. We have had the windows open every day and have had a fan on. Also the radiator has been on full a few times. Any ideas to get rid of the smell
Thank you in anticipation
Lesley

Sponsored Links
Were any of the paints high in VOCs (volatile organic compounds) ? Those are the ones that are more harmful and often smell for quite a while after painting. Emulsion shouldn't be, so it's probably the melamine paint that still smells after that time.

I really can't see what you can do, apart from opening the windows like you're doing. I tried the onion trick in my baby's nursery (cutting an onion in half and letting it absorb the smell) but the room then stank of an awful mixture of paint fumes and onions !

I'm pretty sure that it's recommended to leave a baby's room up to 1-2 months after painting before allowing the baby to sleep in it.

Incidentally - emulsion isn't really suitable for radiators, as it can peel and flake off really easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back