Paint Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I painted a wooden window embrasure with oil based paint about 4 weekends ago and the background paint smell is still lingering in the room. The window is always kept open - so does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get rid of the smell?
Thanks,
Lagu

Sponsored Links
Next time you do any painting, cut an onion in half, place each half in a saucer and position at either end, the onion will evaporate the smell. :D

I've never known a paint smell after 48 hours - never mind a month!

BTW an embrasure is a hole for firing cannons out of.

maybe Lagu lives in
Tower.jpg

Sponsored Links
but, keeping the window open should have done the trick. Did you use any wood preservative or fillers? What types of primer/undercoat/topcoat?

Was any white sprit or anything spilt? Has any dampproofing been done?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try an onion for a couple of days to see if it will still disperse the odour. Joe90 look in your dictionary - embrasure has more than one definition.
Thanks again, Lagu

Lagu said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try an onion for a couple of days to see if it will still disperse the odour. Joe90 look in your dictionary - embrasure has more than one definition.
Thanks again, Lagu

So what is it then?

Zampa, in response to your last posting an embrasure is "... bevelling of wall at sides of door or window ....".
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.
Lagu.

Thanks for that Lagu..ive never heard of it before, is it a word common to Scotland?...do you have a pic of one?

Hi Zampa, no its not a particularly Scottish word. Its just one of the thousands of old words that still have some relevance now, but probably I should have used 'window recess' in the first place. I don't have a picture, just a dictionary definition. Bye, Lagu

Cheers for that..ive got a feeling i know what you mean now..

are you sure the paint is not 2 pack, if it is and you have not put the additive in it will never dry plus what kind of solvent dose it say to clean your brush in this may give you a clue ;) :LOL:

Just checked it out on google images..its seems to be a tapered window..the type they fired cannons from and features on lots of ww2 pill boxes

Interesting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back