Paint Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I have just decorated my bathroom approximately 2 weeks & have done the usual, retiled, emulsioned the walls & ceiling, & glossed the woodwork.

I cannot seem to shift the smell that seems to be more like cat wee as opposed to paint smell. Has anyone ever come across this and know of a way of getting rid?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A bowl of chopped onions left inthe room overnight usually absorbs any paint odours. Don't ask how you get rid of the smell of onions though.

I'm of the old way of thinking, water based paint in a bathroom, I'm never happy with that.
It may be the matt on the ceiling especially if its water based, steam rises and matt doesn't have the seal of satin or gloss the steam will be keeping it from drying properly.

You probably had a shower the next day or worse the day you did it and if there's no fan it all adds up.

So what to do, wait for warm weather open the windows and don't let any one have a bath or shower for three days if it persist repaint the ceiling with a water based paint that has a good seal for bathrooms.

The smell shold at least change to BO.

Sorry Graham81, hope it works out for you.

T

I've been out all of today so thought I would put the radiator on in the bathroom only to try & get it to dry out as much as possible. Came home tonight & it smells worse than ever. Seems odd.

What's on the floor? Is it wet anywhere? Sure I've smelt that before with wet underlay, but that's a vague memory at a friend's house when I was a kid.

Put this in Google and take the first Article.

crown paint smell

the article is pretty interesting. i think everyone used a paint where the water and paint have seperated in the tin and water stinks but a good stir and it goes on alright. the smell is normally just the water being stagnant and it will go away after a day or 2 but they said in the link this was going on for months.
so i haven`t got any answer.
i was always told ,and have told, you should cut half an onion and place it flat side down in a saucer of water. it does seem to work but i don`t know how lol.
you can buy an additive to put in the paint to stop the smell but having never used it i couldn`t say if it works or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back