Strong smell of urine

What you smell when you smell anything is particles. A fart is particles of poo.

Even expenive scent only smells whilst it is giving off particles. Dry paint isn't going to give off particles. Either it is something under the paint that is wet - but more likely - if it smells like cat **** - then that's what it is.

Sponsored Links
The chap from B&Q has now been and given my walls a good sniff. Alas the smell was not too strong when he arrived (of course it stank about 2 hours after he left)

Paint is being sent away for analysis, refund is on the way - but no closer to getting rid of the smell. He says they will not do anything until the paint has been analysed - then they may supply some paint called (he thinks) Revive - which should cover the smell - god only knows what chemicals it contains.

So......in the meantime I still have a stinking room.

I hear what people are saying about the smell coming from else-where but.....

1. there has definitely been no cat spray in here since the paint was applied
2. It did not smell before the paint
3. the new plaster did not smell when drying
4. The walls smell all over - up to ceiling height - which would take an acrobatic cat.
5. All walls smell but two of them were not new plaster - one was the 100 year old lime plaster, another was 30 year old cement plaster.

The only common factor here is the paint.

Sponsored Links
sam8364 said:
The only common factor here is the paint.

I agree..

I got a pot of 'covering paint' (can't remember the name, but it came in a large oval tub with a blue lid, and no label..) from B&Q and it worked - as I'm sitting here in a (still) non smelling room, which when hot I could hardly bear to be in before..

The analysis of the paint is probably because (this is what I was told about my paint..) they have different suppliers of different batches, and at the time of my problem, one was accepting responsibilty and the other denying it!!

I thought this was a big clue-Quote:
The paint does not spell in the tub.
Neither did mine - or smell either...:LOL:

sam8364 - Did you paint something with it in the garage...like a sheet of hardboard or the like, because if that didn't smell and your walls paint in the can doesn't spell :LOL: then it must be your walls or a reaction to them.

Oh ....I give in. :confused:

Yes I have painted a piece of chip board and a piece of wood with the stuff and they do not smell particularly.

However, I should think it is possible that something in the paint is reacting with something on the walls but does not do so with wood - and it could be that it would do so with any wall, not just mine.

The only way to test this would be to paint another wall elsewhere - but I do not want the whole house to smell of ****

The only way to test this would be to paint another wall elsewhere - but I do not want the whole house to smell of p**s

You don't live near Third Eye do you....you could try it on his walls, just to be sure.

You don't live near Third Eye do you....you could try it on his walls, just to be sure.

I assume you mean the head shop in Canterbury - painting his walls - now that is an idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back