paint veneer with gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have pine veneer kids desk that I would like to paint gloss black. How do I go about this. Do I need to prime or seal the veneer. The desk is used quite a lot and has the computer on it. Is normal dulux gloss hard wearing enough or should I use something else/

As ever any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If there's some sort of varnish over the wood now, I'd just sand it down and paint with a black gloss INTERIOR OIL BASED paint (for higher durability).

The trick to getting rid of brush strokes is to thin the paint. With an oil based paint, use white spirits to thin it.

The problem with thinning oil based paint is that it can sag on vertical surfaces as it dries. You might look for a product called "Penetrol" made by the Flood Company or a local equivalent. These thinners have higher viscosity so that they slow the drying time of the paint without lower it's viscosity so that it doesn't sag on vertical surfaces as it dries.

Keen...do you mean pine neneer...as in real wood..and has it been varnished...or the formica type?

It is pine veneer - real wood on top of chipboard. The veneer is about 1-2 mm thick.

Not sure if it has been varnished as it is not shiny but originally I expect it was finished in some way. Came from Heals so is quite a nice bit of furniture that has taken a lot of abuse over the years. Was at home and then university with me.

Sponsored Links
Right then.....as Nester says...start with a good rub down..(the unit not you!)...then give it a coat of dulux supergrip primer or melamine primer...then paint with eggshell...this will give you a classier finsh,..use a foam radiator roller to apply it...two coat should do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back