Painting over a veneered false beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm painting over a silly little pretend beam with a black veneer cladding but stain from the veneer is leaking through where I have had to use some polyfilla and I suspect it will leak through the paintwork too. I was going to get some stain stop but I already have some damp seal. Will this do just as well?

Sponsored Links
If the beam is false and silly can you just not remove it altogether?

It can be hell's own job to stop back varnish leaking through. Oil-based gloss(at least 2 coats) is a cheaper option than Dampseal, though, if you have more than a couple of square feet to cover.

If the beam is false and silly can you just not remove it altogether?

It's made of some composite stuff and was clad with veneer to copy some existing real beams (vandalised with similar veneer and which I am stripping and renovating). I suspect it was put up to mask either wires or pipes - a neighbouring cottage has something similar. So I don't want to start messing around and risk extra cost. The other house simply painted theirs the same as the ceiling and it's been 'disappeared' so that's what I am doing.
I already have some spare damp seal paint and was wondering whether I should try that or should I get some proper 'stain stop'. I just want to emulsion over it the same as the ceiling.
Cheers

I'd go for zinnser bin or coverstain, apply the bin with a mini roller for ease or buy the aerosol. I'd also go with two coats and then you'll be fine to apply white emulsion if thats your plan.

As daft as it may look there is probably a good reason for putting it there in the first place and you could open a can of worms by removing it and it will probably leave you with ceiling repairs to do as well.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back