Painted floor problem - how do I get the finish I want?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im new so you'll have to forgive me if this is kinda in the wrong place, Im not 100% sure if it should go in floors or decorating because there doesn't seem to be any other questions like it!

Im currently trying to paint a bedroom floor and as you can probably guess by the title, Im having a bit of bother:(
The actual painting part is fine, it's just finishing it off that's causing the problem - I'm not quite sure how to get the effect I want, which is black with a glittery overcoat. I bought some polyvine glitter glaze, which looked great on the bottle, but when I tried it on an offcut it didnt look like I'd wanted - the glitter itself is a bit more subtle than I'd expected, but at the same time there's too much of it! I can probably remedy the too much part by just spreading it thinner, but it doesnt really deal with the "subtle" part, but it's the closest ready-made product I can find to what i want.

What Im now considering is getting a different glitter and just either mixing it with something or sprinkling it over the top, but this is where I'm stuck - would this work with a thinned-down or even full consistency varnish so that the glitter doesnt melt into blobs when overcoated, and how long would I have to leave it before overcoating it and putting things on it?
Im not sure if this or the stuff I already have is the better idea, and if I do end up using the glaze, could someone reccomend something to overcoat that with?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Sponsored Links
Can't help with your problem I'm afraid but think you should post this in the decorating forum , much better chance of somebody having an answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back