Painted skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to forum and need some help, just moved house and will carry out some DIY

I've decided to change the skirting board, im going to be using pine wood painted a dark grey. When filling the gaps I would like to paint the filler is this possible? and do I paint it the same colour as the skirting or wall? May sound like a silly question but just trying to picture it.

Any help would be great thanks.

Sponsored Links
Keep the filler white, and once sanded down, undercoat it, and then paint it grey

You can prime before fitting if you want. Maybe even undercoat too?

Sponsored Links
Endecotp's right, you can prime and undercoat before you even fit the skirting boards, but as you'll always have gaps and holes to fill somewhere (which will then need undercoating anyway) it's best to just prime before fitting, then fill the holes, undercoat, and then topcoat twice - and rub down with 240 grade sandpaper between coats. This procedure cuts down on cleaning you're paintbrushes more than you need to

Ok, I mean the gaps between the skirting and the wall, just trying to picture if it will look right with grey skirting and white filler along the top so was wondering could I paint the filler?

Fill the gaps using decorators caulk......this stuff cannot be sanded but it can be painted after a couple of hours.
John :)

Yes you can paint filler. Do what Doggit said.
Also, caulk should only be used on very narrow gaps; large gaps will look like sh1ite if you use caulk. Use filler for anything more than a couple of mm (Better yet, use filler for all gaps. Caulk is for people in a hurry, which you're not).

If you are painting why use timber , mdf comes ready primed and has a better finish than timber.

Ok, thanks for all the replays! Will use filler and paint that grey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back