Painted skirting/doorframes with matt emulsion, bad move???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have taken the opportunity of repainting our skirting, before the new carpet goes down... and I decided to try Crown Matt Emulsion, rather than the enormal gloss finish... which was already on the skirting. I hastily cleaned the paintowrk with sugar soap, and then applied the matt.

I have since been told that matt my crack and peel, (apart from it not being as tough)... and as the carpet is getting laid this saturday.. im in a bit of a panic as to whether I need to clean all the matt off, and repaint with gloss. We have since bought some Dulux Once Gloss, after having good results with the Once paint for the walls...

So, do I need to clean/sand the matt off the skirting/doorframes, before re-applying gloss, or can I simply paint over...???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bad news....yes you really should get the matt off and sand the woodwork down as much as poss.
You can put 50 coats f paint over the top but all the action is going on between the old gloss and the matt
It may not come off this week next week or next year.....but it WILL come off at some point.

As for the one coat gloss, unless its the same colour or very similar, be prepared for two coats......persoanlly I dont like te stuff, its only a glorified non drip gloss at tne end of the day.

I rekon that as you have prepared/ abraded before emulsion went on then you should be ok to gloss over. But do get some gloss or satinwood on. I certainly wouldnt strip off the emulsion. These emulsions are pretty good nowadays tho I dont use it myself for u/c. Wose is when people gloss on old gloss without prep then that will peel off yuk.
Whatever you use you'll still have scuffs from vac. knocks etc so i wouldnt worry.
good luck.

confidentincompetent said:
I rekon that as you have prepared/ abraded before emulsion went on then you should be ok to gloss over. But do get some gloss or satinwood on. I certainly wouldnt strip off the emulsion. These emulsions are pretty good nowadays tho I dont use it myself for u/c. Wose is when people gloss on old gloss without prep then that will peel off yuk.
Whatever you use you'll still have scuffs from vac. knocks etc so i wouldnt worry.
good luck.

I would have said the same...but in this case they didnt abrade... :rolleyes:

So its a dodgy scenario.....mind you have you noticed how DIYers get away with these things....emulsioning rads...hot pipes...papering over paper etc.....and we dont? :(

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
I would have said the same...but in this case they didnt abrade... :rolleyes:

So its a dodgy scenario.....mind you have you noticed how DIYers get away with these things....emulsioning rads...hot pipes...papering over paper etc.....and we dont? :(

OOoOopppPs :oops: I read it 2 hasty :LOL:

Yeah! Some years ago while working inside for some people I put them a new garage door on, the bloke couldnt understand why I did me nut when he put silk emusion on as an undercoat. last year I had to paint their outside and was verrrrry suprised to see the garage door was perfect no peeling and sound :confused: The bloke is in a wheelchair now sadly but he's well enugh to take **** over this door :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back