Painter forgot to prime bare pine stair tread.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brand new pine staircase and missus wants it painted with oil paint

The painter primed everywhere (with zinsser bin) but forgot the treads.

He has applied one coat of the oil paint.

Is this a major issue and if so, what's the best way to rectify this?

Sponsored Links
The 'painter' painted bare wood with a top coat? Not good!

Rub down back to bare wood, prime, undercoat and repaint I would have thought.

Do the above as Mottie said, otherwise paint starts flaking, develop lines like barcode, yellows quickly and look horrible.

How did he forget?!

Which oil based paint did he use?

A mate's missus once forgot to prime some tongue and grove timber. She applied to Dulux Trade oil based eggshell (light blue) directly to the woodwork. He phoned Dulux Trade technical support and they said that whilst not idea, she should just continue applying more coats of the eggshell. 4 years down the line, it looks OK.

From memory, she needed to apply 4 coats in total. Had it been white gloss, I am guessing that she would have needed about 7 coats.

I seldom use BIN on woodwork. (IMO) It dries too quickly to get a decent finish. I would never use it as a primer on wood. It is a pig to sand flat. Spindles, in particular can be "hairy" in places after being primed. You would be hard pressed to use a webrax pad to sand smooth a spindle primed with BIN.

I would have used waterbased primer, sanded it back and then a coat of oil based undercoat, followed by two coats of oil based eggshell (adding some Terebene in the oil based paints to speed up the curing time). Obviously, sanding between coats as required.

Sponsored Links
Which oil based paint did he use?
Dulux trade satinwood (black)

Do the above as Mottie said, otherwise paint starts flaking, develop lines like barcode, yellows quickly and look horrible.

How did he forget?!
He thought that it had already been primed with bin.. His colleague primed everywhere else (eg risers, spindles, hand rail etc) already. But he left the treads.

The 'painter' painted bare wood with a top coat? Not good!

Rub down back to bare wood, prime, undercoat and repaint I would have thought.
Thanks.

It's a lot of treads, so will be a lot of work.

Dulux trade satinwood (black)

He thought that it had already been primed with bin.. His colleague primed everywhere else (eg risers, spindles, hand rail etc) already. But he left the treads.

Thanks.

It's a lot of treads, so will be a lot of work.
Should be the painters problem, not yours.

Why on earth did they use white BIN as a basecoat for black satinwood? Grey primer/undercoat would have made far more sense.

I just can't understand how he didn't notice that the wood hadn't been primed.

Leyland Arcylic primer undercoat is the best option, easy to apply, water based and easy to sand.

I don't use BIN on new timber, I used once but on stained mahogany door to paint it white.

BIN is good for stained wood so won't bleed after painting.

Leyland Arcylic primer undercoat is the best option, easy to apply, water based and easy to sand.

I don't use BIN on new timber, I used once but on stained mahogany door to paint it white.

BIN is good for stained wood so won't bleed after painting.
To use the Leyland primer/undercoat, we'd have to sand every bit of the oil paint, before applying.

I can see issues with this if the painter misses a bit (or skimps) while removing the oil paint.

Hence, would it would be more prudent to use an oil or shellac based primer/undercoat?

Why on earth did they use white BIN as a basecoat for black satinwood? Grey primer/undercoat would have made far more sense.

I just can't understand how he didn't notice that the wood hadn't been primed.
BIN can be tinted grey.

To use the Leyland primer/undercoat, we'd have to sand every bit of the oil paint, before applying.

I can see issues with this if the painter misses a bit (or skimps) while removing the oil paint.

Hence, would it would be more prudent to use an oil or shellac based primer/undercoat?

BIN can be tinted grey.

Good point, yes, BIN can be tinted. So they applied grey BIN?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back