Remove undercoat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We have had a pine staircase installed and it has had undercoat pre-applied - but we intended for it to be pre-oiled, not pre-primed for painting. Evidently some miscommunication went on!

Is it too late for the undercoat to be removed and hard wax oil applied?

I presume the options for achieving this would be:
a) paint remover (but I am worried this might damage the wood?); or
b) sanding (but I am worried this might also damage the wood/cause some other defects if I do it myself)

Any advice would be appreciated! If the worst comes to worst, we can just paint it... but I wanted a bare-wood finish!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Need some cans of peel tec.
Then sand and wire wool.
Maybe try and see how it looks.

If you decide to paint then get it sprayed for the top finish as that might please you to see it looking so good.

If you decide to paint then get it sprayed for the top finish as that might please you to see it looking so good.
Would the spray be on top of one or two other coats or would that be enough on top of the undercoat?

Sponsored Links
Undercoat needs to be smooth. If factory sprayed undercoat then a denib with 320grade sandpaper, then spray a top coat on will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back