Painting a ceiling lengthways or widthways?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a ceiling to paint (about 5m x 4m). The room has a set of patio doors at one end. I gather it's best to start painting at the end with the doors as most light comes from them.

But should I paint in strips lengthways away from the doors and work my way across the room, or in strips widthways across the room and work my way away from the doors? Hope this makes sense.

Does it matter?

I'm using white matt emulsion and a roller.

Sponsored Links
I would work back from the door the shortest way...youll find it easier keeping a wet edge going and that will avoid ending up with a stripy effect down your hall..(posh name...'flashing')

Thanks Zampa. I've done it several times now. Each time I end up with drying marks as you look towards the light.

First two times I used the emulsion neat, and the 3rd time I watered it down 10%, worked as quick as I could so kept a wet edge, but still there are marks.

Admittedly the last time they weren't too bad and I can live with it, but are there any tips to avoid them in future.

The ceiling is very low so you're nearly looking right along it, which seems to make it worse.

Sponsored Links
Its probably down to technique now or maybe the roller you are using..is it a really short pile one?..if so go for a medium, your doing the right thing by thinning it out..you could try 20%

Its really important to keep a 'wet edge' as your rolling..dont let the edge dry up and dont keep rolling over the same bit.

Dont roll when its really warm, wait til later and its cooler..it will help you keep the edge going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back