Painting a curb for night-time visibility?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I reverse into my parking space, there is a bit of curbed corner that I have to reverse around, gettin my back wheel quite close to it in order to park neatly.

It's fine in the day time, but at night, the bright lights wall lights of the car park glaring from behind mean that it is in shadow and you only need a little rain to reduce visibility in the mirrors and it's quite easy to clip it.

I'm looking to add a small area of brighter colour to it to make it more visible and I was thinking that I could apply some paint to the vertical surface.

Would something like this be very visible in the gloom when illuminated by reversing lights?

aGo8qBI.png

Or do I need something like this:

wcR7DjU.png

Or am I barking up the wrong tree and should use reflective strips:

ZsIJdzA.png

(If so, how do I make it stick to a concrete curb?)

Sponsored Links
Refractive tape would be better than most reflective tape as refractive type returns the light to the source.

The background material used for car number plates makes a good warning marker. Hardwearing and weather resistant.

I use it for marking the edge of my thatched roof to ensure HGV drivers can see it at night.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. I have a few follow-up questions:

Marker spray paint , but will need a touch up occasionally.
Does this actually look very visible in the dark? I can see lots of reviews about its visibility in daylight, but nothing about how well it pops from the shadows.

Refractive tape would be better than most reflective tape as refractive type returns the light to the source.
How would you stick that to concrete? I am not sure that the stickyback plastic would stay stuck very long

I use it for marking the edge of my thatched roof to ensure HGV drivers can see it at night.
In my experience, that just gives them something to aim for.

An old tin of white oil based paint would do the job of making it a bit more visible.
I suppose it's worth a try and I might finally find a use for those 90% empty tins of paint I refuse to throw away.

You could use marker paint as a guide for your turn to ensure you reverse the same route every time.

Lateral thinking - instead of avoiding the problem by making the kerb easy to see, make the kerb not a problem by buying a Unimog...

As an update, I did it with a spray can of Plasti-kote 1115 400ml Super Gloss - Yellow.
2rd4iE9.jpg

To be honest, the results were pretty disappointing: I think that even if I had put an undercoat down, it still would have been bad - on plain concrete it really failed to standout, especially at night.

But once you've knackered your rims it matter much less the next time......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back