Lighting and socket advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a few questions...
1. In my bathroom I have a central flush light fitting with 2 x 40w bulbs with a frosted shade. It is terrible, I might as well use a candle for the amount of light I get ! Could anyone recommend something that can use the existing cables but brighter and attractive?

2. The bathroom mirror with light, same bulb as above. What would be best for some brightness?

3. The cooker switch finishes higher than the tiles, I was thinking of making a frame with some flat tile trim I have to go round the edge of the switch? Or maybe a frame made out of wood/mdf and painted to match the wall ? It would not be proud of the switch, it would just sit behind it.

IMG_2492.JPG

Sponsored Links
Can't you get a smaller switch?

Can you try some LED Lamps in the same fitting ?

1) 40W is around 450 lumen so to get a better light you need at least a 1000 lumen for a LED or fluorescent this is above 10W so a 16W 2D fluorescent is around 1050 lumen and they do go to 28W so up to 2050 lumen, an 18W LED replacement for the 2D is around 1787 lumen so be it fluorescent or LED not hard to find a brighter light. There is not much between LED and fluorescent with a lamp of those dimensions fluorescent are cheaper to maintain but LED light up quicker so personal preference. Fluorescent made into bulbs are useless and LED made into bulbs often direct the light in the wrong direction so either way means a fitting change.
2) Since likely you don't want to change mirror then likely LED bulb will help but again a tungsten bulb with pearl glass will send light out even towards the base, less so with clear glass why pearl glass was banned I don't know? with both LED and fluorescent light is not delivered in the direction of the base, so orientation of the bulb is important.
3) Why any electrician would fit a switch like that I don't know, likely he didn't and it was tiled after the switch box was fitted if it was mine I would add extra tiles maybe a thin one of a contrasting colour which replaces the tile edging, but this is down to tiles rather than electrics. Yes you can get smaller switches (isolators) but it would require a back box to match so you will damage tiles fitting it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your replies.
I went to the diy store for the ceiling light and picked up 2 470 lumen LED cool white bulbs, so much better than the old bulbs and the bathroom is so much brighter.
For the mirror, I took a photo of the bulbs to an electrical suppliers and got 2 more LED Cool white bulbs and that is so much brighter!
I am still undecided what to do with the cooker switch. Looking at it it can't be a smaller switch as it has a large back box, it's to power a range cooker so so not sure if socket size relates to cooker size?
I also got lots a new LED bulbs from the electrical supplier for other parts in the house, so it's all looking rather bright!!

Why is there a cooker switch in the bathroom?
Does it switch off the cooker in the kitchen? Or is it actually the switch for the shower?o_O

It's for her range cooker..... I hope that's in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back