Dimmer switch problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have installed dimmer switches in various locations throughout the house (all the same make of switch - think they are called click) that control wall lights (mostly standard incandescent candle bulbs, but some halogen candles) - lights are of a varying make. Problem is that sometimes the dimmers work perfectly, sometimes they turn the light on, but when you dim the whole light switches off and sometimes they dim, but with flickers and trouble (they are very temperamental). They are 400w dimmers (the maximum on any single dimmer switch is 6 candles at 40w), but problems arise even on a single candle bulb at 40w. Some are 2 way switches, some are one way.

Problems exist on multiple circuits.

Dimmers were certainly not cheap (£20+ each for black nickel switches), but understand that may not be correlated to quality.

Also, I have the same make dimmers (just different finish) in the kitchen on low voltage recessed lighting, and they work perfectly fine.

Having trouble ruling out what the problem could be, the only thing that unifies all the problem areas is the use of candle light wall bulbs.

Sponsored Links
You say some of them are 2 way (switched from 2 locations), I take it you have one dimmer and one normal switch on these?

Yep, I did originally have two dimmers on 2 way switches and discovered from previous posts that this was a problem and changed one of them to a dolly switch.

However, this doesn't eliminate the problem in that rooms like the lounge have a one way dimmer, and that switch is particularly tempermental.

As long as the lamps are the correct type (i.e. standard filament) and are rated higher than the minimum rating of the dimmer switch it sounds like your switches are kaput.
Can you swop them with a normal placcy one to see if they work properly?

Sponsored Links
I have tried others (of the same make) and still same problem.

I'll try buying a cheapie from the shop of a different make to see if it resolves the issue.

Huh, didn't realise that.

And you are not meant to put anything above 40w into a wall candle light with shades, correct? Or is that nonsense?

Which leaves me at a dead end (unless you know of any other option that does not involve changing the light fittings)?

How many 40w lamps does the problematic dimmer run?
Some of the 250w models can run a 40w single lamp, you might get away with transplanting the module across.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back