Dimmer Switch not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps,

My dimmer switch isn't working and I'm looking for some advice before replacing as I'm not sure if this will fix the problem. I'm a DIY amateur but can change a light and dimmer switch but as say, don't want to do that as unsure if that will fix the prob.

I have a dimmer switch in my sitting room. It's been there since the property was built and was installed by builders. I fitted a 5 light to the ceiling which used 5 x G4 12 volt bulbs. Pushing the dimmer switch brought the light on/off but the dim function (turning the button) wouldn't work and the switch buzzed louder than usual for a dimmer switch when I tried to dim.

A search on google made me think that the switch might not be suitable for halogen? Don't know if this is accurate or not.

Anyway, I recently changed light again to a 3 x E14 candle bulb light type. I thought that would solve the problem but it hasn't, it still won't dim.

When I try to dim it seems to be just bright or very faint glow which flickers and after few seconds just goes out. I then need to switch the dimmer off/on again and it still only goes to totally bright or very faint glow and then switches off.

As it was fitted when property was built I don't know anything about the switch, just seems to be a standard dimmer. I've fitted dimmer switches in previous home which worked no problem, they were just bog standard dimmer switches from B&Q. Light in previous property was similar to current (3 x E14 candle bulb fitting).

I am unsure if replacing dimmer would work and before did would be really grateful for an idea of what I should get.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Julie.

Sponsored Links
Do you know if the transformer on the first 12volt light was of the dimmable variety ?

What is the wattage of the lamps in use now ?

Do you know if the transformer on the first 12volt light was of the dimmable variety ?

What is the wattage of the lamps in use now ?

Hi Spark,

I'm unsure about 1st ones, I threw out the books that went with it and can't find them on the internet now to check. They were bought from Argos 2 yrs ago when bought the property but they don't seem to sell them now. Oh and forgot, it was 10W G4 bulbs, so total 50?

I have 3 x 60W E14 bulbs on now so 180W.

Think maybe that's too high for the switch?

Sponsored Links
Those fittings that take G4 halogens tend to have a big naff off torroidal transformer in them rather than a nice electronic one, and can only be dimmed with certain dimmer switches.

This one will dim a light supplied through either a torroidal transformer or an electronic type, so should do the trick.

Those fittings that take G4 halogens tend to have a big naff off torroidal transformer in them rather than a nice electronic one, and can only be dimmed with certain dimmer switches.

This one will dim a light supplied through either a torroidal transformer or an electronic type, so should do the trick.

Thanks :) I figured that as the new lights aren't halogen like the old one they'd work fine with the dimmer switch but likely the builders have just put something bog standard.

This is going to sound really thick but well I've got to ask :D I have a basic layman(woman)s understanding of what a transformer does, I think with the halogen lights I fitted/took off that the transformer was in the rose? So it was part of the lights. The new lights don't seem to have a transformer, were just wired directly to my ceiling wires....... does that mean it's working off a mains transformer or something?

You have probably damaged the dimmer with the first light i.e. incompatability

A new standard dimmer will do the trick on your new gls lamp type fitting

Dont install energy saver lamps at a future date though otherwise you will be buying another new dimmer again !

I think with the halogen lights I fitted/took off that the transformer was in the rose?

Yep, normally it is built into the base of the fitting.

The new lights don't seem to have a transformer, were just wired directly to my ceiling wires....... does that mean it's working off a mains transformer or something?

They do not need a transformer, as the lamps (bulbs) are rated to be run directly on 230V mains, where as with the fitting which took halogens, those lamps are rated to run on 12 volts, so they need a transformer to reduce the 230V mains down to 12V.

Thanks again, that makes sense.

Either way I'm glad it seems like a switch problem as the ceiling is nearly 5 metres high. Spent a hairy couple of hours on top of a step ladder which was on top of a dining table last night taking old lights off and fitting new ones.

Fortunately I'll be able to keep both feet on the floor to change switch ;)

1st image is old lights, 2nd the new that fitted last night.

" Spent a hairy couple of hours on top of a step ladder which was on top of a dining table last night taking old lights off and fitting new ones. "

:eek: :LOL:

Yup, all those dangling crystal bits had to be fitted separately after fitted lights, and oh yeah, there's two in the room.

Sure can appreciate when it comes to lights in this house ........ I'm on my own :(

No electrician will touch it, oddly even when I offer to supply the parachute :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back