Bulb blew now dimmer switch wont work......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....despite changing bulb the dimmer switch no longer dims the lights just switches on and off.
Now i have read elsewhere i need to replace the dimmer switch !!!

Surely i havent got to do this everytime a bulb blows ?
Obviously not so what is the problem ?

Sponsored Links
when a filament lamp blows its just like a fuse blowing but the current can flow for longer than desired and damage the dimmer.

Worse than a fuse blowing. A fuse blowing does not increase the fault current due a fault elsewhere in the circuit. When a lamp blows it can become a near short circuit for a fraction of a second and take a lot more current than when lit normally.

Make sure you buy a good brand eg MK, crabtree, make sure it is suitable for your type of lighting and that it oversized for the load.

There are also lamps with fuses built in to prevent this happening.

Running a lamp dimmed, especially halogens, will reduce their life time.

Sponsored Links
Running a lamp dimmed, especially halogens, will reduce their life time.

That's debatable. It can increase the life.

I agree the older filament lamps with inert gas did last longer when under run on a lower voltage sine wave supply. Chopped sine wave and pulse width modulated dimmers were known to cause some coiled filaments to vibrate more than they did on a sine wave supply thus leading to more mechanical ageing of the filament.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back