Dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wanted to check what my options are with dimmer switches.

We just moved house, and in the previous house we had chandeliers in the bedroom and lounge which used normal candle bulbs. The switches we had were remote & touch timmers - they perfectly suited our lazy lifestyle as we could turn the lights off from bed, and dim the lights when watching movies on TV.

The problem we're having is finding light fittings compatible with the dimmer in our new place. They all seem to use halogen bulbs like G4 or GU10. Can either of these be dimmed using a normal dimmer, or do i need to replace the unit? Are there remote controlled dimmers which can be used with low voltage lights?

Sponsored Links
In fact, sod it, my Mrs has decided she definitely wants a light fitting with G4 bulbs - which double remote dimmer can i use to dim these?

The issue is as much to do with the transformer in the fitting as it is the dimmer.

You can't go far wrong if you use the Varilight dimmers and Varilight transformers (disconnecting whatever transformer was supplied with the fitting).

Obviously, there is a risk of voiding the warranty here..

No standard dimmer switches should work with GU10 lamps. However it might be useful using a low-load dimmer switch.

The best way would be to use a "silent intelligent trailing edge dimmer"
These will work with GLS and GU10 bulbs.

Also its best to use a branded make of switches compare to inferior Chinese quailty ones.

Here are some links you might want to try:

http://www.varilight.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I (my wife) bit the bullet and ordered two identical light fittings. Sure enough, they are 12v G4 bulbs with a big nasty looking wire round transformer concealed in the ceiling rose.

The transformer appears to be Chinese - A HTV105C1 made by Huibolong unless I'm very much mistaken. It has the following marks on it:

Input: 220-240 vac 50/60 hz 0.44a Cos 0.98

Output: 11.5 vac Max 105w eff 8.75a

The fixture has 8 bulbs, all driven by the same transformer - and the supplied bulbs are all 12V 10W

Long story short time... could I rip out the existing transformer and replace with one of these?

http://www.simply-lighting.co.uk/varilight-12v-105w-transformer-yt105l-1687-p.asp

And stupid question, would I need one of these for the whole unit, or one per bulb?

with a big nasty looking wire round transformer concealed in the ceiling rose.
Most reliable way to provide 12 volts to lamps.

Mrs has decided she definitely wants a light fitting with G4 bulbs - which double remote dimmer can i use to dim these?
Will she accept tjhe short life of dimmed halogen capsules. ?

You could dim the room by having only one or two lamps on instead of dimming all of the lamps.

Most reliable way to provide 12 volts to lamps.

Fair enough, but it does say on my switch not to use wire wound transformers with it (as do most dimmer switches I've seen)

Will she accept tjhe short life of dimmed halogen capsules. ?

You could dim the room by having only one or two lamps on instead of dimming all of the lamps.

I can get 10 replacement bulbs for about £2, so not too bothered if they burn out a bit quicker. Pulling bulbs out every time we want to change the ambience of the room is a lot less convenient than flicking a switch on a dimmer.

I didn't mean pulling lamps out to dim the ambience. Just arrange the switching to control which lamps have power for bright and which for dim.

It is not only changing the lamps but also ( depending on the fitting ) the significant risk of molten glass from an exploding capsule burning holes in carpets, bed clothes or skin.

Cheap lamps are just that, you get what you pay for.

Sorry, not sure I know what you mean by this:

"Just arrange the switching to control which lamps have power for bright and which for dim. "

The lamps are all part of the same fitting, they don't have individual connections. Are you suggesting we instead get several light fittings on the ceiling, and switch on a different number depending on the luminance we want? :LOL:

That is pretty much what we plan on doing in the kitchen (recessed spots, on two circuits), although in the lounge I think it would look better to have one central light fitting in the ceiling.

Can I take out the existing transformer and replace with this? http://www.simply-lighting.co.uk/varilight-12v-105w-transformer-yt105l-1687-p.asp :confused:

No standard dimmer switches should work with GU10 lamps.
Bit of a sweeping statement - these days quite a lot do.

The best way would be to use a "silent intelligent trailing edge dimmer"
Do you know for sure that the OP has, and will always have, only transformers which are compatible with phase-cut dimmers?

Depends on the transformer.

Wirewound ones are trickier.

What does the maker say about dimming?

Depends on the transformer. Wirewound ones are trickier.
Are you attempting to make the distinction between 'traditional' and switch-mode ('electronic') products? To the best of my knowledge, both contain wirewound transformers.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back