Dimmer switch buzzing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
Hope someone can help.

We have a new light fitting that halogen G4 bulbs.
We put a dimmer switch on from B&q and there is a very loud buzzing coming from the switch. We have taken it off and put a normal switch on.

Does anybody know if we require a certain dimmer or transmitter? For these to work?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the total wattage of the G4 lamps?

Are they 12volt lamps? If so, there will be transformer in the fitting, is it dimmer able?

Sponsored Links
We have 8 dimmable gu10 leds and i bought a dimmer from b&q and had the same problem.....ended up just buying a normal switch

The biggest shame is you have been offered proper help, but you have instead decided you will just replace the dimmer with a normal switch.

It's quite possible the dimmer is not powerful enough for the total wattage, hence why it's essential to know how many 20w bulbs you are driving

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We have 8 dimmable gu10 leds and i bought a dimmer from b&q and had the same problem.....ended up just buying a normal switch

So, you possibly had 8x 50w bulbs, and possibly had a 250w dimmer. Seems likely a 400w dimmer would have resolved the issue?

Great minds think alike...

I thought another person asking the question might get an answer.

So you need a dimmer that is capable of driving the electronic transformers that are in your chandelier. You need advice from the manufacturer of the chandelier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back