Bulb wattage for chandelier light?

Undoubtedly, but anything remotely approaching 22W of any sort of LED sounds (to me) to be an awful lot to illuminate things just a few inches away - but maybe I haven't 'lived' :)

Kind Regards, John
15W/metre is quite the norm these days for LED strip and some of the more dense 'pro' versions I assume the power goes up acordingly.

Sponsored Links
15W/metre is quite the norm these days for LED strip and some of the more dense 'pro' versions I assume the power goes up acordingly.
That seems like an awful lot, which probably equates to well over 100W incandescents per metre.

KInd Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Don’t forget colour temperature has a big impact on perceived brightness

a 5w 2700k warm white build will seem much duller than a 5w 5000k cool white bulb.

Don’t forget colour temperature has a big impact on perceived brightness .... a 5w 2700k warm white build will seem much duller than a 5w 5000k cool white bulb.
Yes, I realise that, but the figures we are talking about seem so 'extreme' (e.g. 180W of LED strip {at 15W/m} to go all around the edge of a 3m x 3m room) that they surely can't be explained by just that? Let's face it, such a room may well have been lit by just 100W (or maybe 2 x 60W) incandescents in the past.

Kind Regards, John

I wasn't doubting what you said, but it remains the case that the 'equivalent' of 100W/metre of incandescent lighting seems to be an awful lot to me - if one put one of those strips all the way around an average room, one would probably end up with in excvess of the equivalent of 1 kW of incandescent lighting!

Kind Regards, John
Assuming a 4m square room 'twould be 240W. We have 8 25W candle bulbs; 5 in chandelier + 3 wall lights and rarely do we have all on.

Assuming a 4m square room 'twould be 240W. We have 8 25W candle bulbs; 5 in chandelier + 3 wall lights and rarely do we have all on.
Quite so. When I said "over 1kW', I was actually thinking ('modestly') of a 3m x 3m room - but, as you say, for 4m x 4m and 15W/m (LED) that would amount to 240W of LED, probably 'equivalent' to nearly 2 kW of incandescents (a fair bit more than the capacity of a 6A lighting circuit!) - rather different from your 200W :)

I still don't really get it!

Kind Regards, John

Would 40-watt LED bulbs be suitable to use in the chandelier or would the wattage be too high?

As others have pointed out, 40w LED's, even if you could buy 40w candles, would be far too bright. For a similar light output, dived by 10, so around 3w or 4w LED.

The 40w rating of the fitting is one of protecting the fitting from heat damage, the waste heat from tungsten lamps. Whilst LED's emit much less heat, a problem they do suffer from, is inadequate cooling, in enclosed lighting fittings, designed for tungsten lamps - and so something to be aware of.

As others have pointed out, 40w LED's, even if you could buy 40w candles, would be far too bright. For a similar light output, dived by 10, so around 3w or 4w LED.

The 40w rating of the fitting is one of protecting the fitting from heat damage, the waste heat from tungsten lamps. Whilst LED's emit much less heat, a problem they do suffer from, is inadequate cooling, in enclosed lighting fittings, designed for tungsten lamps - and so something to be aware of.
I'm finding fittings are often listed with 2 values now; such as 40W & 5W LED.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back