Dimmable PIR & Candle Bulbs - Possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to install THIS Danler dimmable PIR in my downstairs hall which has a chandelier with 6 candle bulbs and no dimmer on the wall at present (simple on/off switch).

The above PIR is stated as being "suitable for dimmable ballasts with 1-10VDC input." Does this mean I am unable to use this with the mentioned candle bulb chandelier? Even with a transformer of some sort inbetween the chandelier and switch (power source)?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
doesnt look like you can, that dimmer is for 0-10v dimming which your light doesnt have / require

It would appear that the product you linked to cannot control LV loads directly, instead it produces an ELV output that varies between 0v (to represent off) and 10v (to represent full brilliance) intended to control an electronic dimmable ballast in a discharge fixture.

If you wanted to control a resistive lighting load with this unit, the easiest way to do it would be to utilise a analogue input stage dimmer (which also work on the 0-10v control standard), however this would require cabling to be altered and as such things are not small or light, putting it somewhere where it is not an eyesore might be an issue, also 0v doesn't really respresent off, rather a power low enough that the filament of the lamp does not radiate anything in the visual spectrum, but just keeps warm (its called pre-heat, and is to reduce thermal shock in expensie lamps used in theatre lanterns)... though this might be able to be adjusted via an internal trimpot

The sensible answer of course is to look for a more appropiate PIR devicde :)

Thanks for the quick reply! Is that dimmer able to control 6 spotlights, each with their own transformer? The spotlights currently have a wall switch dimmer. I'm planning to remove these from the room they are currently located in and use them in the upstairs landing with that PIR...

Is the simple answer to my original question to not use a dimmer PIR with the chandelier lighting, instead to use a normal non-dimming PIR such as THIS one?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply! Is that dimmer able to control 6 spotlights, each with their own transformer?
no

Is the simple answer to my original question to not use a dimmer PIR with the chandelier lighting, instead to use a normal non-dimming PIR such as THIS one?

yes, if you must
Now I'm very confused, I was almost certain (and I'm sure some lighting supplier confirmed it to me over the phone) that the dimming PIR would control the spotlights which already have their own 12v transformers... So what is that dimmable PIR made for in this case?

Now I'm very confused, I was almost certain (and I'm sure some lighting supplier confirmed it to me over the phone) that the dimming PIR would control the spotlights which already have their own 12v transformers... So what is that dimmable PIR made for in this case?

doesnt look like you can, that dimmer is for 0-10v dimming which your light doesnt have / require

So what is that dimmable PIR made for in this case?

It is mainly used for dimming fluerescent fittings,
But only high frequency ones fitted with dimmable ballasts.
Your pic actually shows it dimming two 600mm sguare fluerescent light modules.

presumablly you could also connect it to a dimmer pack which would then control the power to your spots

Thank you for confirming everything for me, much appreciated! Now that I know that the above dimmable PIR will not work with halogen spotlights or candle bulbs, any idea whether a dimmable PIR suited for these two light fittings exists?

I've got the dimmers that Breezer linked to. They are 4 channel too, so you could control 3 other fixtures with the same one.

If you are interested, here is how I used them www.yourmissus.com/lighting/ - not dissimilar to what you are trying to acheive really.

Hope this helps
-Dan

toasty, you're from AVForums aren't you :). How would that dimmer achieve what I am looking for & what else would I need to purchase for the entire system to work? Apologies, but I can't quite apply your webpage example to what I am trying to achieve...

Would this make sense:

a ) A standard (non-dimming) PIR would connect to one of the DMX channels. This PIR would control the downstairs entrance hall lights. But how would the dimming work as it gets gradually darker (i.e. where is the photocell?).

b) A standard (non-dimming) PIR would connect to a second DMX channel. This PIR would control the upstairs halogen lights. Again, how would the dimming work as it gets gradually darker (i.e. where is the photocell?).

c ) A photocell would connect to a third DMX channel. This photocell would turn the LED lights ON in the stairs as it gets dark.

EVIS, you have got it all wrong regards DMX

DMX is a control protocol

what is DMX (isnt google useful)

in short you would need the first "thing you linked to" connected to the dimmer i linked to (you would need the 0-10v side NOT DMX)

0-10v pre dates DMX, DMX is more sophisticated and can have 512 channels controlled down 2 wires

Thus;

1 Danler Dimmer PIR (made for dimmable flourescent tubes) would be connected to the DMX dimmer via the 10vdc side which in turn would be connected to the the halogen spotlights via their transformers?

but,

How would this be connected to the downstairs candle lamps which do not use a transformer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back