"Replacing Non-Dimmable LED's with Dimmable LED's due to No Earth" - Not my Words!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick post that some on here may find amusing.

The other day I replaced the non-dimmable LED light bulbs in the living room and downstairs hallway with dimmable counterparts as they can be used with automated Z-Wave switches what don't require a neutral connection. (Hallway and Living room light switches only have line, switched line, and CPC.) (Z-Wave switch that requires only L and SL needs dimmable bulbs)

Anyway my mum goes out to a party later that evening and when she gets back, she tells me that she bumped into a guest who was also an electrician. She also mentioned to me how she got a strange look and reaction from them when she said that I was replacing the LED light bulbs with dimmable counterparts due to having no Earth at the switches as was going to fit Z-Wave enabled switches.

Clearly my mum miss conveyed the reason of why I replaced the bulbs and got confused between the lack of a Neutral at the switches in question and the CPC, the latter of which is of course present at all the switches in my house.

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
Clearly she did.

You should see if you can get a message to the electrician via the party hosts before you become the latest episode of Tales Of A Dork.

I have in last few days replaced the standard light switch for a Energenie MiHome light switch, there are three terminals on the switch, line in, line out, and the third I assume for use if using as a two way, can't remember the name think it was "Slave" but there was no terminal for the earth, there was an earth wire going from inside the switch to the hole for mounting screw and since using a metal box which is earthed and 3.5 mm brass mounting screws it is earthed, but if using a plastic back box there is nothing to connect an earth wire to.

Under "Technical Specification" in the instructions it states terminal connections: L-IN, L-OUT, N-IN, N-OUT however there is no connection for any neutral,
upload_2017-4-17_23-33-5.png
shown is the diagram on the instructions, there is no earth terminal, and no explanation as to what Slave is for. Also LI is output I could see some one thinking the I with LI stands for "In" which is not the case.

In the advert it states **Energenie recommends that dimmable light sources are used with all MiHome light switches, such as Dimmable LED. Not suitable for any fluorescent lamps.** However this is not repeated in the instructions. I would assume dimmable lamps allow a leak current where non dimmable may not, however there does not seem to be an option for dimming the lights.

The Page here shows a picture of back of switch it does what I want, but I think the instructions are rather lacking.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back