Dimmer switch with non dimmable bulbs went bang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive bought a new ceiling light with 8 small halogen bulbs. Clearly states not dimmable but my light switch is just that.
Usually I wack it straight on to max and there's no problem but stupidly I have only turned part on. Initially lights flickered and buzzed and before I could turned dimmer up, there was a bang and no nothing's working. All other lights are fine just my bedroom light. Changed bulbs. Checked light cables are all ok but still nothing. Please help. Could it just be as simple as to replace dimmer to normal switch or is it worse?

Sponsored Links
... before I could turned dimmer up, there was a bang and no nothing's working. All other lights are fine just my bedroom light. Changed bulbs. Checked light cables are all ok but still nothing. Please help. Could it just be as simple as to replace dimmer to normal switch or is it worse?
It sounds as if you have killed the dimmer - was it the dimmer which went bang? It's obviously impossible to be sure without seeing it, but I suspect that replacing the dimmer with an ordinary switch might well solve the problem.

By the way, what wattage are these "8 small halogen bulbs", and do you know what the maximum wattage capability of the dimmer is (should say so on the back).

Kind Regards, John

Either the dimmer or the transformer inside your light. Both replaceable. The dimmer should be replaced with a normal switch in any case.

The g4 bulbs I've replaced with 10w bulbs but before 20w as that was light maximum. I'll check back of dimmer but definitely going to replace for normal light switch.
In relation to the bang. If gone into another room and heard it before I got chance to get back to turn dimmer on full so unsure whether it was the actual light or dimmer. It tripped everything but all other elecs working fine just my light

Sponsored Links
Changed dimmer to normal switch. Still nothing :( where can you purchase transformers from and are there different types etc. Sorry. I'm not generally too bad with electrics for a woman. But transformers are a new 1 for me

There are hundreds of different types.
Post a picture of yours, someone may recognise it.

In addition, some lights have an easily changeable fuse that is meant to protect the luminaire. Have a good look in case it's an easy cheap fuse change.

Great Thanks very. I've had the light back down to check all wiring etc and all is good. The transformer seems attached to the actual light so maybe it does have a fuse inside that I can replace. I'll take it down again in the daylight and check then post pics if needs be. It's driving me mad. I won't be defeated haha. I've uploaded pic of the light if that's any help

Attachments

• 20170515_151529.jpg
    20170515_151529.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 294
You will need to replace the transformer with a new one. The bang was likely the electronics exploding.

Thanks I'll do that and if still no joy. I'll send for a sparky lol

Ok so I've managed to get a photo of transformer now. It seems to be firmly attached to the light mind :/

Attachments

• 20170910_184421.jpg
    20170910_184421.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 257
please see https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/more-pointless-ramblings-about-transformers.479593/page-6#post-3968862

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back