Double dimmer switch problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm having issues with a double dimmer switch. The switch had been working fine for over a year, but recently if both lights are on, the fuse blows, and if one light is off, the other won't dim.

I've replaced the switch recently, but still have the same issues.

One switch controls kitchen light: 60W incandescent bulb.
Other controls lounge chandelier: 3 x 40W incandescent bulbs.

Could the mismatch of the wattage between the two circuits be the problem here?

Had a sparky through who suggested that the chandelier may need re-wiring, however, have removed the chandelier, fitted a normal plug, and it works just fine on its own.

Just wondering whether there's an obvious issue with double dimmers that I should be aware of, or if I should be using a different type of dimmer arrangement?

Thanks in advance for any replies...
Cheers,
Steph.

Sponsored Links
Dimmers are usually separate modules, so unless you have a very unusual type, the problem is not the dimmer. The different wattage lamps will not be the problem either.

Has any wiring in the property been changed or replaced recently?

Have you tried replacing the dimmers with a two gang light switch to see if they work ok without the dimmers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back