Dimmer for lots of LED bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced two ceiling chandeliers with LED ones. Each has 24 bulbs @ 4W each. Both are driven from two 2-gang 3-way dimmer switches, which also drive some wall sconces (6 bulbs @4W each). So, in total each 3-way dimmer switch is driving 54 LED bulbs (all 240v), totalling around 216W. I think the dimmers the sparkies installed are overloaded, as the lights won't power on. They installed dimmers rated at 200W incandescent. The dimmers are programmable, and can be set to Modes 1, 2 or 3. I have tried all three modes, without a single bulb lighting.

So... if the problem is that the dimmers are overloaded, can anyone tell me if there are dimmers that can cope with so many bulbs? All the ones I've found are limited to 10 or 20 bulbs total, which isn't enough to drive even one of my pendant lights/chandeliers.

Is there anything else that might be going wrong?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
two ceiling chandeliers ... Both are driven from two 2-gang 3-way dimmer switches ... each 3-way dimmer switch is driving 54 LED bulbs
Please clarify exactly what you mean, and what is connected to the switch(es).
Are 2 separate dimmers connected to each chandelier?

Switches:
2 gang = 2 knobs or switches on the front.
3 way = not a term generally used in the UK for lighting. USA persons use it to refer to 2 switches operating a single light.

I'm trying to imagine how long you can have over 200W of LED lighting on in a room before your eyeballs start to boil.

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to imagine how long you can have over 200W of LED lighting on in a room before your eyeballs start to boil.
lol extreme if in less than a very large area or room as equivilent to around 1600-2000w normal bulbs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back