RESOLVED:Chandelier not dimming - it’s not the switch…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! Wondering if anybody has a clue as to what may be going on. I had a dodgy dimmer switch that would sometimes not work (wouldn’t turn on, but it did dim) I have changed the switch with a new Varilight one. It’s a 2 gang switch, as was the old one, controlling 2 LED Chandeliers. Bulbs and wattage are correct and compatible with the new dimmer. The Left chandelier now no longer dims for some reason! Well it does but a tiny bit - hardly noticible at all. The right one is fine - I was sent a replacement dimmer switch as I thought it was a dodgy switch and same again! I have switched the chandelier cables and it definitely looks like it’s the chandelier causing the issue…is there a cable on the chandelier that specifically affects the dimming that may have come loose somewhere? Or any other ideas would be much appreciated! Thank you Adam

Sponsored Links
Inside the bulb is a driver, that controls the power that goes through the actual LED this could be a simple resistance or capacitor, but could also be a switch mode device. The latter can auto compensate for any wave form chopping done by the dimmer switch.

Inside the bulb is a driver, that controls the power that goes through the actual LED this could be a simple resistance or capacitor, but could also be a switch mode device. The latter can auto compensate for any wave form chopping done by the dimmer switch.
Thank you but It doesn’t seem to be a bulb issue…strangely seems to be something to do with the chandelier itself that has only started since I replaced the dimmer switch, very odd…and I’m certain it’s not the switch and I switched over to the other chandelier to test it and it dims perfectly…

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dimmer allows 2 x 0-120w and each chandelier has 5 x LED 4w bulbs

UPDATE: I had 1 sneaky Halogen bulb on one of the chandeliers. The chandelier that DOES dim properly. If I take the halogen out and replace it with an LED then that chandelier doesn’t dim. Which means the wattage of my led bulbs must be too low - I’m not sure why as this Varilight Dimmer is supposed to work 0-120w…

Thanks! I have resolved the issue now! Turns out, my switch didn’t come with the instruction manual which I just found online, this Varilight switch is programmable and you need to set the minimum and maximum brightness, which of course I had no idea about - sorry to waste your time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back