Painting a damp ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I had a leak in the roof, rainwater got into the loft and made its way through the boarding, through to the bedroom ceiling below.

We finally got round to re-painting the ceiling. We have sanded off all the flakey, blistered emulsion, and given it two coats of Ronseal Damp Proof, and left that to dry for two days.

We just tried putting on a coat of white emulsion and it immediately started peeling off.

What can I do?

LHL

Sponsored Links
I had those self same problems renovating our house,left empty for 10 yrs..the damp proof paint causes a skin to form ,a semi gloss finish if you will,even though you left the paint to dry is the loft area fully dry and the room itself..if they are not condensation, even mild, will cause the emulsion not to bond.i had a dehumidifier going for a month until the moisture level in each room was negligible to affect the paint..also there are some damp proof paint products that produce a good finish where top coating is unnecessary..maybe take emulsion off and apply one of these..i know more expense,but peace of mind in the long run.you can hire a dehumidifier or go on a community site, we loan ours out to people in need,after all once its done its job its just sitting in the garage.if its long term use id invest, you never know when you may need one again

Sponsored Links
Hello and thanks.

Yes it's skimmed plasterboard.

I can't have a dehumidifier running for a month - the room is going to be occupied by a lodger from next week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back