Peeling/blistering emulsion paint-Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just painted a previously matt emulsioned artex ceiling with Dulux Rich Matt emulsion and have hit a huge problem.
The first coat went on lovely yesterday morning, but today we started to put on the 2nd coat and after a couple of mins the ceiling seemed to blister and crack in lots of places, some patches are about a foot square.
Can anyone please suggest a remedy? We stopped painting after noticing the problem, but we now have bare patches of artex and patches where the paint had blistered but has now dried and left a cracked appearance.
Should we seal the ceiling with ARP(Alkali Resisting Primer) or can anyone suggest anything else?

Sponsored Links
Are you 100% sure the the Artex was previously emulsioned over ?

If you are 100% sure, then what was it first emulsioned with ?

Seems to me, that your already emulsioned painted Artex had an Breathable matt (chalky) on it. Then your Dulux Rich Matt could not cope with the suction.

we have just moved in property has been built 15 years have painted other ceilings in house and have had no reaction to paint this ceiling looked the same as the others just matt emulsion from when first built.

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:
Are you 100% sure the the Artex was previously emulsioned over ?

If you are 100% sure, then what was it first emulsioned with ?

Seems to me, that your already emulsioned painted Artex had an Breathable matt (chalky) on it. Then your Dulux Rich Matt could not cope with the suction.

we have just moved in property has been built 15 years have painted other ceilings in house and have had no reaction to paint this ceiling looked the same as the others just matt emulsion from when first built.

To be honest, most Housebuilders only artex cielings and they do not emulsion them.

It was probably the previous house owners who emulsioned the cielings. Sometimes, artex can appear to be emulsioned and it has not.

Only thing i can think of what may have happened is the one problem cieling was not previously emulsioned or it was emulsioned but with an lower quality emulsion from the other cielings.

If i were you, i would attempt to scrape off all artex and emulsions. Get it to an flat surface. Then rub down. Then apply Dulux Trade Supermatt on your cieling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back