Painting a Fibreglass skin Composite Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a modern glass fibre skinned composite door. It's a couple of years old now and has been through a lot on our very messy building site and so it needs some touching up on the outside.

The outside is black and we wish to repaint it black again to make it look like new.

I know that you can paint composite doors and i saw a professional doing so a few years ago.

However what process / paints should i use??

I am thinking:

- Clean door thoroughly, maybe with a special wipe
- White / grey Primer undercoat that will bond to this doors surface - Aerosol sprayed
- 2 or 3 thin coats of gloss black paint - Aerosol sprayed

How does this sound?

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it's not too chipped you can restore the colour by wiping it over with some WD40, it brought mine up a treat !!

Mike

Use Zinsser 123 or BIN then apply and undercoat and gloss. Don't use aerosol's

Hi, ok thanks, i have found these at Screwfix.

Out of curiosity, why do you not recommend Aerosol?

I assumed that they might give a more even coat with no brush marks?

Also, i have found Zinsser exterior All Coat which claims that it does not need Primer? Or do you recommend that i still use Zinsser 123 first?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fibreglass is one of those surfaces that may want to make paint peel off. Zinsser 123 or bin are primers that will adhere to this type of surface allowing any other type of paint to adhere to that without coming off. As a decorator I would rather undercoat after the primer and gently flat it off with wet n dry then apply a thinned coat of an oil based gloss or use waterbased if you prefer, although water based gloss will never have the shine that an oil based gloss does.

Those composite doors have already been painted,why would they need to be primed again ?
A good key with grey scotch brite as used by vehicle painters would be ideal and then it's ready for painting .
Primer would be required if it was to seal the fibre glass or any repairs where there is no paint .Those doors are normally sprayed .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back