Painting a hallway Victorian Corbel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an old Victorian house, in the hall way there is what i think is called a corbel, when i've painted it with ordinary matt paint it flakes off, is there a specific type of paint i should be using.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Acorbel is can often be termed as a decorative projection will can also be load bearing, they range from natural stone cast cement to mere plastic.

So advice on painting it can be given, if we know what it's made of.

Dec

I see that stugguling with my new vari focals has yet not improved my grammer. :LOL:

Dec

Corbels that the paint flakes off are usually made, or at least finished, with casting plaster.
I find that using an oil based eggshell sticks best and gives a very nice finish too.
You may need to use something like Zinsser BullsEye 1-2-3 to prime it first though. ;)

Sponsored Links
Perhaps so Mr H yet better I think to determine what they are made of first, the op speaks of a victorian property and I for one would like to determine that.

Dec

Well only you can establish that, you say that everytime you have painted them the paint has failed and flaked off. What did the underlying surface look like, did it either resemble stone or cement what colour was it did it appear in anyway shiny in appearance, if you tapped it did appear either solid or hollow. A pic would be handy.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back