Painting a new summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here, and am after some advice from you experts please.

I am just about to have a wooden summer house built (10ftx10ft), and am wondering what paints to use (exterior & interior).

I have googled it, but am not getting very far, so I thought I'd come here, and after reading some of the posts, I'd say I've come to the right place (grovel, grovel). :LOL:

Any help would be most welcome. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
In my experience, the problem with outdoor softwood joinery is that it expands and contracts all the time, especially with moisture changes but also heat from the sun. this tends to crack ordinary paints, and when damp gets under the surface (it will) it pushes the paint off and sets up rot.

I like those water-repellent stains as used on sheds and fences, they leave a waxy, water-repellent film on the wood, and are tolerant of expansion and contraction without cracking. They also let the wood breathe enough to dry out.

They are water based, and it's very quick and easy to put on a new coat after a couple of years (no stripping or sanding required).

Most are suitable for rough-sawn wood, if your summerhouse is planed, make sure you get one suitable for smooth wood.

The outside would probably look rural and garden-y with a dark stain, but you can get pale ones for the inside. As well as the usual tones of brown you can also get greens and other colours.

You get better protection to the board edges if you give the timber a couple of coats before assembly.

This pic shows my shiplap cladding which I did that way (exposed coastal environment)

POL_0101.jpg

Sponsored Links
I’ve always used either the Sikkens or Sadolin ranges (same manufacturer). You pay a lot more for the products but it lasts a lot longer than the cheaper ranges. I would suggest that you use an opaque woodstain - Cetol BL Opaque, which is available in the Sikkens range in traditional wood colour finishes or pale garden shades which seem to be in fashion at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back