Painting a wooden summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am planning to paint my wooden summerhouse after it is built. What is the best exterior paint to use? Should I go with a recognized brand or cheap and cheerful? I don't want to repaint every year.

Any suggestions as to what should I use to finish the interior - Varnish, stain or paint?

Any help would be appreciated....

Sponsored Links
the wood is likely to get damp, and will certainly swell and contract as the weather and the season changes.

So I would go for an elastic, breathing coating. My preference is for a water-based shed-and-fence stain, which leaves a water-repellent waxy film on the surface but allows the wood to breathe. It is also very easy to re-coat every few years, you just need to clean the surface with water, detergent and a stiff nylon brush and let it dry.

If your building has a smooth, planed surface, you need to use a stain which is recommended for planed wood, but once it has weathered for a few years and the surface has roughened, any fence stain will do.

BTW I prefer to treat the wood before building, as you can get to hidden edges and back surfaces. Any upward-facing surfaces, and timbers within 300mm of the ground, I would treat generously with a spirit-based wood preservative such as Cuprinol first.

Sponsored Links
I've never used it. For a premium product, I use Cuprinol or Ronseal, and for economy I use a DIY-shed own-brand.

Looking at Protek's ad it looks like the same sort of thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back